So pumped! An amazing fellow blogger and friend of mine at A Travel Broad nominated me for the Liebster Award. I just began my blog this past year an effort to share my travels during my backpacking trip. Last year was a life changer for me as I discovered my passion for travel and now enjoy sharing it on the inter-webs. I’m super excited for the nomination and thanks girl for being awesome. Rock on!
The purpose of the Liebster Award is to recognize up and coming bloggers giving them exposure to the blogging community. It also gives insight on the blog’s creator and what makes them…..well, unique!
Here goes nothing! Here’s 11 random facts about me:
- I lived in a house with 4 fraternity boys in college.
- The only other place I have ever lived for an extended amount of time outside my home state (NJ) was Australia.
- I am completely grossed out by bugs.
- I fear heights like it’s the plague.
- I have a complete obsession with Buffalo Wing Sauce…preferably Frank’s Wing Sauce.
- Johnny Depp is my favorite actor of all, closely followed by Robert Downey Jr.
- I am a hardcore Philadelphia Eagles and Phillies fan!
- I know all the words to classic Disney songs.
- My impulses will one day be the death of me, although they have led to some pretty crazy experiences.
- I am currently obsessed with Thai curry, and after my awesome cooking class in Chiang Mai, I can cook a mean red curry.
- Techie geek with a capital T. Love playing with the latest gadgets.
My answers to A Travel Broad’s Questions:
What inspired you to start traveling?
My trip to Mexico in 2011 inspired me to start traveling. I haven’t traveled anywhere since 2005 and I was going insane. A coworker suggested Contiki tours since I had no companions to travel with, and that was my biggest hang-up for never going anywhere. At the conclusion of my tour, I had befriended so many people from around the world who have been traveling for days, months, and even years. I will never forget their stories and experiences that inspired the beginning of my adventures.
What is your favorite destination so far and why?
Melbourne, Australia is currently my favorite destination but I have a slight bias since I just returned from living there for a year.
Where you’ve had your favorite meal?
The jury is still out on this one. I have had lots of fabulous food but nothing has taken the cake as my all-time favorite, “I have to go back and eat that again” place in my heart.
What’s your favorite travel memory?
It was a night on the beach in Acapulco, Mexico. After a long night of festivities we ventured to the beach. It was quite and the only sound around was the waves crashing on the beach. You could look into the clear night sky and see stars as far as the eye could see. Standing there in that moment with the wind blowing through my hair, with no technology or world problems staring you down, I felt the freest I’ve ever felt in my life. That pure feeling of freedom is the ultimate high for any traveler.
Share with us your favorite photo and a little bit of detail about the photo.
In this photo I was teaching young Cambodian children English at a monastery in Kompong Cham, Cambodia. In my travels so far, this has been the most rewarding experience of my life to be able to give back to the country I was visiting.
What are some words you live by (quotes, your motto, a mantra)?
You can always make more money, but you can’t make more time. (This was my justification to travel even though I was poor)
So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. “-C.J.M
Why did you start a travel blog?
What started last year in 2012 as just a way to keep in touch with family and friends during my year long adventure, is now becoming a passion and a big part of my life. I hope to grow my blog to be able to connect with fellow travelers and look forward to future opportunities that may come to light with my new found passion.
Do you have a favorite place in the airport to hang out before a flight?
It doesn’t matter where in the airport as long as I have a comfy chair and Wi-fi.
When you fly, what do you like to do to keep you occupied?
Aside from sleeping away as much of the flight as possible, I usually watch movies or catch-up on my photo editing.
What’s the strangest thing a local has every told you about their city?
This is a tough one for nothing comes to mind. I feel when you travel for a long period of time nothing really strikes you as strange anymore because it just becomes a new experience.
When it comes to travel blogging, what do you find is your biggest obstacle?
My biggest obstacle is being consistent with my posting.
The 11 bloggers I nominated are: (drum roll please)
- Justine at LittleMissLocal
- Ilene at Literaturevslaundry
- Erica at Simply Epalf
- Karen at The Walkup
- Kira at Her New Leaf
- Christina at Epicurean Bliss
- Andrew at Das Ale House
- Greg at Quotable Diatribe
- Christina at Christine Does
- Bitter at Bitterbossen
- Emily at An Emily Abroad
My 11 questions for you are:
- What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten?
- What experience impacted you the most and why?
- Who inspires you the most in your life?
- What is your favorite pastime?
- What is your favorite brand of luggage/backpacks/travel gear?
- What was the worst travel situation you have ever been in?
- What do you fear most?
- What is you “must have” travel item?
- What is the weirdest thing you had to do in your travels?
- What is your favorite drink?
- What is your toilet paper situation? (fold, scrunch, wrap?) I stole this question from a previous tour guide.
These are the rules for the nominated bloggers:
- Link back to the blogger that nominated you
- Write 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer 11 questions from the blogger that nominated you
- Nominate 11 other bloggers
- Ask them 11 new questions